Sunday, September 15, 2013

God is with me in South Korea

Welcome to my Journey in South Korea. I think what is significant in any journey is the beginning of the journey. This post is a bit long, but is a really important aspect of my trip to South Korea.

After a 14 and a half hour cramped, stuffy plane ride, I landed at the Incheon airport in South Korea at 4:30 in the morning on August 29th.  But wait, that’s wrong… I was supposed to land Friday morning on the 30th so my friend could pick me up. Apparently me nor my parents or my Korean friend knew how to calculate the International dateline.

I remember gazing wild – eyed at the fluorescent sign above the baggage claim stating the time and date. “Is it really Thursday the 29th?” I asked the blonde woman beside me. She looked at me a bit strangely and replied “Yes.” I told her my situation and she directed me to the Korean Air desk.

Well that’s freaking awesome. I arrived on the wrong date and had no way to call or contact my friend. I had no idea how to reach the university … after all this was my first time by myself in a foreign country.  I waited for my luggage and prayed.. “Please Lord help me figure all this out… please let everything come together under your will.”  Not even a full minute after my silent prayer, the blonde woman from earlier walked up to me and asked where I was going. “Seoul.” I answered.  “Great I am headed that way too, why don’t you take a taxi with me to my hotel, we’ll eat breakfast together, and then call your friend and figure out what to do from there.”  I hesitated for a split second,  Mom’s warning repeating in my head “ Don’t trust strangers” but rather than feeling apprehensive, I felt calm and at ease. I knew right then that this tall blonde American woman was my answer to prayer.

We took an hour long taxi ride from Incheon to Seoul. We had a nice cab driver who spoke excellent English with a bit of a French accent. ( No, I don’t understand how that works either)
We arrived at a fancy hotel where I spent most of my day in the lounge. The clerks held on to my luggage and helped me call my friend.  With the help of my kind companion and the hotel clerk I managed to find a hostel for the night.

My answer to prayer was a woman from LA, a believer, who comes to Korea twice a year for business. I have not spoken to her since that day but I will always remain grateful for her kindness and generosity. God’s presence was definitely felt the day I landed in this beautiful, vibrant country.

In my next post I will tell you about my first few nights in Seoul.


Cheers.

(This was the view from the hotel, my first morning in Seoul)


20 comments:

  1. Wonderful first post CC. God certainly was with you that day. every day, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. CC, go into your settings and please turn OFF word verification.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God did answer your prayers! So glad that you arrived safely. I follow your mother's blog, Olive Out! Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God blessed you with the helpful lady, a nice save to your first day in South Korea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you are safe and in the right place. I imagine that blonde woman was an angel in disguise. Great post, CC. Look forward to being a regular reader!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you. I believe you have a streak of resourcefulness in you, too. Your lovely stranger was "paying it forward" and I'm sure you will do the same, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are going to be just fine. You know where your help comes from and that is the most important thing. Work hard, but have fun! Prayer for you, CC.

    Ms. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. CC,
    What a wonderful story! Wow...God surely is faithful.
    Your profile picture is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how when we are supposed to fear strangers we know it, and when they are believers we also know that too. Good use of the discernment gift.

    ReplyDelete
  10. CC, I am loving your adventures..it is always an adventure to walk with God...
    Love, Mona

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! I follow your mom's blog and heard you were starting a blog while in Korea. I'm glad to hear that you were able to find someone to help you your first day in Korea. I would've been scared too! It will be fun to follow your adventures in a country on the other side of the world. I've never been there or anywhere close to it so I will probably learn some things from you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so happy you're going to be blogging about your adventures. And I guess you started off with an adventure right out of the gate! Glad everything got worked out and you were able to find a place to stay that first night. Enjoy your time over there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. CC, I'm really honored to follow your blog on your adventures in South Korea, and I think you have started off with a bang! I can't help but think that the American woman was an angel of sorts. And you trusted your instincts, sometimes you'll have to rely on those along with faith. But your mom is right...steer clear of strangers.

    I can't wait to hear more. The picture is beautiful!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi CC, I'm a blogger friend of your mom and she posted about checking out your blog too, so that's why I'm here! That must've been really scary for you to arrive on the wrong day...I can't imagine the panic that must've set in, especially in a foreign country. Thank God for that kind woman that helped you out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy you are safe, happy and excited about your new venture in South Korea. I am happy your mom linked us to you. I will love and enjoy reading your story. I want to believe it truly is a wonderful world and your first hours in Korea proved it to be so . . . may your days be blessed with smiles and joys.

    ReplyDelete
  16. CC, Can't wait to read more about you being in South Korea! God is watching over you... I can see that from everything you've written. Take Care...

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an exciting start to your adventure and wonderful that it all turned out so well. I guess when you are in a country where everyone is a stranger, you have to trust some of them. You showed pretty good judgement the first time you needed to use it and I'm sure you will do just fine in Korea.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm one of your mom's faithful followers and just managed to get over here finally to see how you have been doing. What a crazy start to your adventure and thank God that lovely woman understood that you could use some friendly assistance. Your adventure begins in the beautiful country of Korea. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  19. Korea is such a fascinating place and as an American, I felt it was easy to get around. Color coded subways and trains, stops announced in English. I have been there four times, first trip overseas and I went alone! I have two kids adopted from Korea so I went there to meet with government officials and directors of the adoption agencies. My experience each time was very welcoming. I recommend going to Yoido Full Gospel Church. It's amazing! I am a believer too and that's the closest worship to heaven I can imagine on this side of glory!

    ReplyDelete